Posted by Meaghan Cody
I know we say this all the time, but we are so incredibly lucky to work with such amazing wedding professionals here in the Dallas area. We had the opportunity to meet Kelly Rucker with Kelly Rucker Photography at the end of last year through Thursday Therapy. Kelly is a talented photographer here in Dallas and we wanted to feature her today! We had the chance to ask Kelly a couple of questions about her business as well as what she likes to do in her spare time! Enjoy!
- How did you get started in the Photography business, and specifically with weddings?
Photography has been a hobby of mine since I was a teenager. My dad bought me my first nice camera and I instantly fell in love with the art of photography. I developed my own photos in a darkroom for many years. As I got older it was something I did on the side, but eventually decided to take the plunge and fully pursue my passion in business form. A long time photographer took me under their wing and I began second shooting at weddings- I fell in love immediately!
- What is your typical day like as a Wedding Photographer on the day of the wedding, and also on a non-wedding day?
The day before a wedding is spent getting all my ducks in a row- charging batteries, formatting cards… all that fun stuff. The day of is busy, busy! I actually enjoy the chaos of the wedding day.
Not one day is ever the same in my life, but most are spent editing, meeting with clients & vendors, blogging, making to-do lists, walking my dog, enjoying time with my husband and dreaming about the future.
- What would you say makes your style or personality unique from other Photographers?
My goal with each client is to form a long lasting relationship- to grow and walk with them through big moments in their life. I want my business and character to show compassion and integrity.
- What are some of your favorite images from your portfolio?
I LOVE bridals sessions- they are probably my favorite photos to take!
- Favorite tips or advice for the bride and grooms to be?
To the bride and groom- enjoy every minute leading up to your wedding day and don’t get stressed in the details, it goes by so fast- savor each moment.
- When you aren’t working, what are some of your favorite things to do?
I enjoy traveling, red wine, yoga, eating LOTS of sushi, spending time with my husband and listening to Third Eye Blind:)
- What are some of your favorite venues in the DFW area, and why?
I love Hickory Street– it is so beautiful and open. Edison’s is a great space with a friendly staff!